A Bahama Mama Wedding

A Bahama Mama Wedding
Such a Fun Day!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Evolution of Weenie Pants

When I was choosing a blog address, I was hoping for something that would be hard for my family and friends to find.  When I know that people I have to see everyday are reading something I write, I tend to edit my words just like in a normal conversation.  That was not the point.  So I thought the secret nickname we call our dog was probably pretty safe. 

Knowing that it is kind of a strange name, I had to do a quick google search before I picked it to make sure nothing too dirty came up if I would mis-type (Don't worry, it was all G rated). The best hit was this:

Weenie in My Pants:
to misunderstand someone for something very inappropriate. Similar to a Freudian slip.
Bob: I just did another
You: You just did my mother?
Bob: Na bro thats not what I said.
You: Sorry that was totally a "weenie in my pants"

hahahahahahahah!
 
But enough about the blog.  Lets talk about the evolution of my little lady's name.  I have this great friend I met in medical school (really, she is one of the greatest people I know!). When we first met, she told me the story about her nickname, and how it came about.  Her nickname was Dusty Pants.  After hearing the story, which is hilarious, I went home and called Mr, during our conversation I happened to tell him about my new friend and her nickname.  The next time Mr was in town and saw Zoe, he looked straight at her and called her Weenie Pants.  Zoe being the polite little nugget that she is, wagged her tail at the Mr.  That is how Weenie Pants as we know her was born. How Zoe came into our family is a little longer...
 
When I was a junior in college, I was starting to consider medical school.  I knew that I would be moving away from my undergrad, and thought that having a dog would make a far-far-away move easier to handle.  Mr (who wasn't Mr yet, still Boyfriend) didn't agree.  He was away on Co-op in Indiana, and didn't want to get a dog until we were living together (good thing I was stubborn because that took 2 more years!)
 
Well  I was a little impatient, and started to fill out adoption paperwork from the animal shelters nearby. I've never adopted a child, but I would have to assume that the paperwork is CRAZY!!  I had to fill out hundreds, seriously, HUNDREDS of documents saying what kind of pet owner I was going to be, as well as provide at least 5 references saying I was financially responsible and a good person.  (Side note: the Army didn't even require that many references when I commissioned!)
 
After a few weeks I was losing hope that adopting a pet at 21 was going to work out.  Every shelter shot me down, saying I was just too young.  During finals week, I got a call from a woman who saw that I had experience with a family dachshund.  She said that they just had an entire litter dropped off, and one little lady was pretty sick.  She thought that my experience with weenies might make me a good candidate. 
 
Although a wiener dog wasn't my first choice, I drove out to see the puppies the next day.  A tiny little lady, the smallest of the group and covered in bald spots, came running around the corner, knocking into walls, to fling herself onto my lap.  It was love at first sight, and this is how our family of 3 started.
 
Zoe was sick when I first got her.  She was taken away from her mother very early, and they believed that she was immunocompromised because of this, as well as infections they were treating.  She also had demodectic mange, which gave her hilarious bald spots all over her little body.  They told me that it wasn't likely the hair was going to grow back, but the rest of her problems would be manageable.
 
I moved 4 hours away after graduation, ready to start medical school.  I didn't have a roommate and I didn't know anybody, but I had my Zoe.  If you have gone through medical school, than you know how terribly lonely it can be, and if you haven't, let me tell you!  Some days I would sit at my table and study all. day. long. and the only life I would see would be my Zoe.  She was the only reason I would take a break, and the only reason I would get fresh air.  I would have died with out my weenie pants!  I'm quite certain this is when Zoe went from my dog to my angel (if you can't tell with my little obsession)
 
When Mr graduated in May, he moved down to join the little lady and I. It took Z and the Mr a few weeks of adjusting, but in the end, we really make a great little family!  Zoe even greets him first when we get home!
 
And that is the story of my sweet Weenie Pants.  She is a great dog.  I've been trying to think of some fun facts I could tell you, but that will have to wait for another post! 
 
 
 
Zoe's favorite hideout! She fit just perfect in the open window

Napping with the Mr

Unpacking my packing

Riding around in PIB in a bike stroller

She was a bumble bee for Halloween

How she sleeps if you don't bug her!

Tanning in the sunshine

The first picture I have of my lady!  The good news is... her hair grew back and she is a beauty!


On a different note: today was the first day of fall weather here. It was amazing! The leaves are turning and falling already, the breeze was cool, and the sky was incredible! I'm looking forward to another amazing season in Hocking Hills. 


If you haven't made a trip to see Hocking Hills, Ohio in the fall, you are missing out.  I have lived in Ohio my entire life, and never knew anything so beautiful existed in my state.  It makes a great and cheap vacation! 
 
Hope your day was as beautiful as mine!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment